Hello Willow Creek Residents,
Over past few weeks we have had numerous sightings of some coyotes roaming through the neighbourhood (Thanks Perry and Tonya for the pictures!).
Living in a rural community, wildlife comes with the territory. So with this in mind, "it is important to know how to co-exist with these animals to minimize conflict and ensure the safety of residents, pets, livestock, and wildlife alike."
Preventing Problems with Wildlife:
- Removing food sources by securing garbage, feed and pet food (including bird feeders) inside the home or in a sealed container,
- Eliminating locations for homes and hideouts by keeping the yard clean of debris at all times and by regularly maintaining and inspecting the property and its structures, and
- Taking the time to talk with your children and familiarize yourself about what to do if you encounter a wild animal.
For information on what to do if you encounter a coyote, here is a link to Alberta Fish and Wildlife with some great information (especially if you have kids!)
There is some additional information from the Rockyview MD website county on wildlife that is also available:
And one final note - Call a Fish and Wildlife officer through the Report-A Poacher line at 1-800-642-3800:
- If you see a coyote that is so sick or injured it can't move
- If a coyote is behaving aggressively toward people, such as nipping or biting
Willow Creek HOA